Monday, March 30, 2009

Music to my...your ears!


"Music is my soul and passion. It is what holds my thoughts and desires. Without it, we're nothing but deadless souls."

I was surprised to find articles in Tooning In that deals with popular music. Fascinating, eh?! Well, apparently music is everything and everywhere. It's so universal! Everyone use it, no matter where they go, no matter what they do, music is essential. It may not seem like it but just any sound of beat is music; in the advertisements on television, the introduction of the weather channel, the radio, anything. If you think about it, how many people can you think of that hates (maybe hate is too harsh, what about DISLIKES) the sound of music? I barely know anymore who dislike music. All my friends love music, and they always say, "It's their favorite hobby" or "Music is me"; you get the point.




Thoughts
As for myself, music is words to my ears. I love listening to music because it allows me to feel what the singer or creator is feeling, whether it's cheerfulness or saddness. Most of the time, I only listen to the music and not the words because I use music as a study energy to set my atmosphere; whereas everything is calm, at peace, and disaster - free. I'm a traditional, plain girl who listens to music that fits into the mood. I listen to more Asian songs and hip-hop and soul, but also rap when I just want to be in that "rap" mood. I know --- what is she talking about, right?! Anyways, Hmong songs are what I mainly listen to everyday. Many songs relate to love, family crisis, and wartime. From my perspective, the Hmong music speak to its listeners; just for the fact that someone can actually relate to it. This is the same with any cultural music. For example, this song is about the Hmong people who lives along the mountains in Laos and Thailand. I feel that it's awareness to show us that people live basically anywhere and this is how they live.




Tooning In, Chapter 4 and 12:
As I was reading the each chapters, I notice how they each focused on one specific topic. Chapter 4 strikingly takes my breathe away as it describes how pop culture is experiencing the realm of criticism although it has not effectively dominanted our lives. Chapter 12 notes how the role of media and music makes its connections with social studies. However, I think that when it comes to teaching music, music should teach music and social studies should teach social studies, unless the teacher is a combination of both subjects then, that's a different story. In correlation, these two chapters highly speak of something that everyone knows of: MUSIC! Music itself as a multimedia growing industry, images off the societial issues that occurs everyday in our own backyard. Words not only reflect off the creators voice but perhaps the many other voices that cannot be heard.

Quotes that caught my eyes:
"The growth of socially relevant music that leads to increased involvement and activism is an outcome of a variety of recent events including the Bush presidency, 9/11, the war in Iraq, the perceived role of the United States in the world and issues related to social justice" (p. 39)

"A strong argument can be made that pop culture has become the most influential education institution for our children in society, and many seem quite frustrated by this" (p. 40)

"It is not only a reflection of culture and the times, but it is also often an active force in societal change" (p. 40) ---> I love this one!

"Issues related to capitalism, globalization, music choices, hegemony as the driving force, marketing, and how each related to social efficacy could easily be integrated in schooling as well as we attempt to faciliate critical and active participation in society" (p. 43)

"Music is a natural intrinsically motivating factor in our lives and should be celebrated for its potential in promoting social efficacy and activism" (p. 47)

"Music is universal language, or so the saying goes" (p. 111)

"Using music to enhance learning, to connect issues and the times in history, to illustrate a cultural identity, or to promote unity for a cause is not a foreign concept" (p. 117)


Music + Education = Creativity

I believe that children are best learners when it comes to music; somehow, the words and rhythm of the beat just seems to flow into their minds and sit there in their brain forever. It's beautiful art made by imagination because it's something that anyone can create on their own and in their own special way. Most importantly, intergrating popular music into the classroom not only gives the teacher an opportunity to learn about their students but also the effectiveness within the classroom itself. I sometimes find it hard to believe for myself, but I think students stay more calm and obedient when they listen to music (that's age appropriate and school approved). Last semester, I volunteered at New Millennium Academy in the 7th grade, I didn't know what to expect from the students at all. They were all shy and not even talking to me. My job was to help the students who were more slow and help them learn more english at the same time. So, one day I was left with a substitute and was totally helpless but luckily, I had access to the teacher's laptop. I remember asking the students if they want me to put on some music to put them into "working mode" and before I knew it, everyone was like shouting at me about what song to put on. I was amazed at how one word, music, can start such a conversation. We all spent about a good ten minutes debating on the best song to put on. Even the substitute teacher put in her opinion.



Popular culture gives us a great way to understand how students think and respond to anything they learn, and popular music plays a major role in a students learning ability. For instance, I know everyone has gone through this phase of learning their alphabets with the ABC song. My baby sister, who is only 4, sings this song everyday while she smacks these alphabet magnet letters onto the refrige. I find it annoying sometimes but it makes me happy to know that she's being learning something good. Music can be educational and it can make young children, such as my sister, become involved in a musical world where learning is essential and fun!

Because a music is a vital component of youth's popular culture preferred over even movies and television, the teacher's understanding and application of popular music can be a powerful tool for teaching and learning in social studies education (p. 111).

9 comments:

mai thao said...

testing!

mai thao said...

it works now!

KAS said...

I love that you posted the Hmong song! Can you say a bit about what she is singing about and who the people are in the video with her?

Anonymous said...

You said "If you think about it, how many people can you think of that hates (maybe hate is too harsh, what about DISLIKES) the sound of music? I barely know anymore who dislike music." Unfortunately, I recently was told about how the dislike of a particular singer ruined an otherwise good lesson. 9th grade girls plugged their ears rather than listen to Taylor Swift's "Love Story." The teacher was trying to introduce Romeo and Juliet with it. The compare/contrast goal was shot because they wouldn't listen to it. Ridiculous, right? Anyhow, you do a very nice job expressing your interests and passions and tying them to our topics and readings. Nice use of pictures and videos to augment your text. I can't think of a constructive criticism. Great job!

Rebecca Oberg said...

Hello,

I really enjoyed reading your post! Great work. The way that you integrated video and images into your text really strengthened your argument. Like Kari, I also really appreciated the Hmong song that you included. I am not very familiar with Hmong music, so I loved the opportunity to hear it. Your commentary about the song also really added to my listening experience--I was reminded of my own Greek background and the way that the family focus and hardships faced by the Greek community compare and contrast with members of Hmong culture. The other thing that really caught my eye was the way that you included important quotes from the reading at the end--they summed up both your post and the most important points for the week from the reading. Overall, great work!

Rebecca Oberg

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the Hmong song and explaining it to us.

One thing struck me in your post was that you said in teaching, social studies should teach social studies and music should teach music. What about when students get past elementary school age where music is no longer class? As you said, music is universal and everyone can relate in some way. Is there no room for the integration of relevant music in other classes? It would have livened up my history classes in high school for sure.

libgyrl said...

Glad the comments are now working! You have nice links in a thoughtful post. Sometimes I listen to the Hmong hour on KFAI (90.3) - the singing is often different in the tonal nature, which I think is a fine example that music is variable not just in taste but structure which is a potential interesting but tough place to be in a class. Thanks for telling more about the song.

epihlaja said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Kelly, those girls plugged their ears instead of listen to the song? I would not have dared do that in school. How disrespectful! I'm not a huge fan of several genres, but I can't imagine having the gall to actually cover my ears.

Mai, love how you integrate your personal experiences and tastes with the weekly readings every week. The Hmong video is beeeautiful!

Erin said...

Mai,

This was a really great post. I completely agree with you about how music is universal. I think I've been searching for that word for a long time to describe my thoughts about music and the impact it can have. You prove this point so perfectly by incorporating the Hmong music here. English, Hmong, Spanish..whatever..it's all a way to communicate, spread a message, no? I also wanted to say thanks for posting a few Hmong songs. A bunch of my students are Hmong and are constantly trying to tell me about the Hmong music they like. I could never really hear or picture it in my head, so I'm grateful you could help me with that. It's beautiful music.