Saturday, March 21, 2009

Fake News? Real News?

On the image (left): I was browsing on Google and found this, which I thought was funny. Love his expression and interperration of a bat boy ^_^


This week is on "Fake News". That's a topic to think about. I barely have any time to watch the news or read newspapers anymore since I'm on a tight schedule (school, work, problems at home, the life, whatever) and yet, I find myself trying to update on everyday events.

Fake news in a political stand, according to the article written by Andrea Janus, Researchers from Ohio State University found television viewers who watch fake news programs are less informed about issues and candidates in election campaigns than those who watch network news shows. This article has a strong stand point on how entertainment shows (or mock news show) don't provide our local viewers the "best way to learn about political candidates and issues" --- and to tell the truth, it's true. I'm a very neutral person when it comes to politics and government. If the media has to make something interesting to catch the viewers attention, then go ahead. The public can only handle so much information that is bias and legitimate that sometimes, they need a break from it.

So, what can make of "fake news" in general? Maybe the fact that it's used a source to bring some excitement and enjoyable news to a reader's mind. If you think about it, at times like this where the economy is unstable, wouldn't you rather laugh than stare at the news making comments on unemployment increases?! Sooner or later --- fake news will be a big popular culture one of these days. Anyways, I think that fake news are fun. Yeah, if all the news that surround us was ALL FAKE, it'll be problematic of course. On the other hand, why can't we As I read all the articles for this week, they really got me thinking about where to draw the line between what's real and what's fake. Such entertainment shows as The Daily News and The Colbert Report have gained in popularity in the past years, but who knows how long they've been doing fake news in the industry. They practically provide their show viewers a humorous opinion on our politicans, which I also find amusing myself. However, whose to say that everything in life must be serious and real?! In general, fake news pokes out to us those need-to-make-you-laugh things that we never think of when it comes to society.

A few thoughts on "Fake News" out there:

The Onion First off, I would never (ever) imagine that the Onion was one. The first time that I actually opened the paper and read it, I thought it was simply hilarious. Now, this "fake news" is something that can enjoyable. Because of my busy schedule and life, I've only read the Onion once in a long time but I found that there were some interesting topics to get me thinking...hahahaha....they usually made my day, too. I don't have nothing against it now or later, it's fake news but hey it's a GOOD laugh! Don't you agree with me?

Lately, I have been receiving these short texts on my cellphone. They seem to be short little facts or something, but I don't know. It's always asking for me to call this one number for help...so yeah. Sometimes, I think that are all fake and yet, they sound so real. WHICH makes me think twice about deleting it for the moment. For example:

I got this 3/10/2009:
Mailmen in Russia now carry revolvers after a recent decision by the government.

In reality, fake news is no different than the news that we hear or read everyday. I am a very gullible person, who will believe anything (that's if I don't know anything about it) and still, I don't believe everything I see or hear on the news.

In relation to education, I think it is okay to incorporate some fake news into a class lesson. It make's the students think more critically and bring some humor into the atmosphere. Not only is it humor, but fake news or real news allows the students individually to connect to the outside socieities surrounding them. In addition, if we don't help students to think for themselves on how the media presents such current events, how will they learn to identify the difference later in the future? Then again, students can approach these fake news with questions and opinions as they do to everything else that they do.

Well, that's all for now...