Sunday, February 8, 2009

To Game or Not to Game?!

*** Note: I was only able to open 2 of the 3 articles that the professor sent to us. That excludes the one with the e-mail. ***



After reading the articles, I thought to myself for a couple of minutes on what intrigue me the most. Then I wondered, why video games? What has video game done to support education and how does this fall together? I've always seen games as a distraction from anything. My boyfriend is one of them. When there's nothing to do, he turns on his PS2 and starts playing whatever's in there. It bigs me because it's hard for me to get him off the console just to do something for me. Video game is an addiction that may be good for the brain, depending on its purpose.

What I found most intriguing was from the article From Serious Games to Serious Gaming (Part Four): Labyrinth, by Scot Osterweil. Just the thought of creating a game that involves schooling curriculum surprised me. How on earth did they come up with such a brlliant idea? Creating a game that integrates math and literature and enabling students to play it in school --- the gaming industry must be thinking about the future of education I guess.

In the article, Scot noted: "needing to prepare their students for high-stakes tests, teachers were leery of committing precious class time to new technology, but they identified ideas that weren't getting through to their students and hoped we could somehow take care of them." This in fact is true --- in my opinion. There are students who are willing to take on challenges and there are those students who sits there in class and intakes the teachers words in one ear but somehow the words goes out the other ear. It's already hard enough for teachers to have the whole class pay attention to the curriculum.
I like the fact that Labyrinth address two components: math and literacy. "primarily a math game, it is also designed to promote literacy." Many kids don't like to write ( and I can think of a couple ) and Labyrinth uses that weakness from them to create these writing messages that they must write to their team players. With this, it can enable kids to think about what they are going to write. Besides writing, reading benefits are also enhanced as well as communication. On the other hand, there are the downfall of those who have the disadvantage to access the required hardware outside of the school and classroom. Not to mention, there are students that can not even stay after-school as well.

Another intriguing thought was from the article From inside the games industry: game + girl = advance; the Sims. I know it's a fact that the game industry itself is dominated by the world of mens. I work at Wal-Mart and everytime I pass by the Electronics area, I see young boys stand in front of the game case glaring at their most wanted game. It's an everyday case. However, I am not a gamer ---- but that doesn't mean that I don't play any games at all. Anyways, the industry seems to apply to it's male customers and designers. In this case, women does not really have a place in the gaming industry. Yet, that does not mean that women are not as skilled like the men. Not many women goes into the field of computer science or enigneering.


I was introduced to the Sims recently by my boyfriend's sister. I would have to say that I actually became fond of playing the Sims game because it's as close to reality as it can possibly be. I was playing the Sims 2 Deluxe, where I live by myself and I have to keep on living. Unfortunately, I got really bored and tired of it because I could not keep up with my character's needs anymore. It's hard --- and compared to reality, it's about the same thing. Which I think what made me became interested in it.
Overall, all the articles related to education. Involving technology with class lessons may be a key component in which it can intrigue the student to become interested in. Nevertheless, gaming in school isn't that bad after all, I mean, if students benefit from it though.

0 comments: