Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Shop 'til you Drop!

*** Note: My laptop totally let me down for two weeks, and I lost everything! I'm really mad >.<; I think that it's about time I get a new one...so sorry for the late!!!! blogging. I'm trying to write as much as I can remember, so please bare with me on this***


So, this topic is on "the Mall".




I am a person who you can consider a shopper but not really. I love shopping, but not to the extreme point where I go to the mall every weekend. I starting a shopping hobby when I got into college, yeah, I know right?! During my school years, the mall was not as important as my school work but now that I think about it, I should have started earlier. I remember when my friends would always invite me to go shopping with them, and I would say something like "Oh, I can't today because I have to go study" or "I have to help babysit my niece today, sorry" --- I regret saying that because I was always preoccupied with thoughts on achieving a good education, and yet at the same time, I'm putting more stress on my shoulders. I never considered about giving myself a little treat for all the work I did, and now, I'm trying to catch up with it...living with life.

Malls are a place of conversation and interaction. Especially for teens who wants to go have fun with their friends, or just to be away from home and school. The mall provides the space for them to relieve any stressful moments behind for an hour or two. It provides the environment for teens and adults to get along together and meet new people everyday. ( Imagine the workers who has to deal with customers! ) But really, its about interaction.

In relation to the article that we had to read from The Washington Post, "He Told Us to Go Shopping. Now the Bill is Due", I found it quite ironic. First of all, I was in middle school when 9/11 happened, and knew nothing about our economy. I'm quite sickened at the fact that George W. Bush put American citizens into a gamble. Clearly, I'm not a fan of politics either --- so please don't think wrong of me! Then again, if you put everything aside and say to yourself that he wants us to not worry and just continue on with life without knowing what he had planned.

He said: But he simultaneously urged Americans to carry on as if there were no war. "Get down to Disney World in Florida," he urged just over two weeks after 9/11. "Take your families and enjoy life, the way we want it to be enjoyed." The Truth: Bush certainly wanted citizens to support his war -- he just wasn't going to require them actually to do anything.
- From the article

But I really don't have any opinion on this because economy is always going to have its up and downs, no doubt about that.

In addition to that, the article "Transforming Social Spaces: Female Identity and the Mall" --- I couldn't find myself relating to it. In my entire life, even though I live in Twin Cities, I've been to the Mall of America twice --- and yep, I haven't seen everything in there yet. Surprisingly, I don't find MOA such an attraction. But, according to the article, I believe that its true about "Your out-of-town friends are visiting and want to see the cities' most obvious landmark."
Many people that I know come to visit Minnesota just because of this highly-popularized mega-mall. Plus, I can't imagine myself trying to live there for a whole week. It's jsut not me. However, I truly admire the author of this article.

So, how does the mall revolve around education?

Math wise, spending and the mall is a good to start teaching the young children to save save save! They may think that anything can be affordable but they are wrong! By introducing shopping to young children in school, it allows for them to get a picture of how economy works. Students can aquire this through using money in math. They can be given a certain amount to spend on items. And from there, learn how to subtract or add to that amount given to them. ( We're going to make them math geeks ^o* --- hehehe )

0 comments: