Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fandom


I'm sitting on the couch trying to do all my assignments...and avoid many other distractions that's in my way.

So, here's a topic that drove me insane for an hour or so. What am I a fan of?! hhmmm...it's been quite a while since I've been a fan of anything. Life now doesn't include me being a "fan" of anything (I think) =P However, to answer the question: What am I a FAN of ? I don't think that I was really a big fan of any musical groups or books, but I can recall back to my middle school years when I was first introduced to the word: ANIME.


Definition: anime (n) a style of Japanese comic book and video cartoon animation in which the main characters have large doe-like eyes. ( Definition thanks to whatis.techtarget.com )


If I flashback to my middle school years, let's say the 6th grade, right when I starting noticing more and more television shows, Sailor Moon was the first anime show that caught my eyes. Yes ---- I am a fan of Sailor Moon the Anime. And also a fan of the manga world =) Anywho, at the age of 12, I guess it is a common thing for a girl...right?!


Sailor Moon is a Japanese comic book story created by Naoko Takeuchi. The story revolves around an ordinary girl school girl named Serena, who happens to find out that she's the champion of love and justice, Sailor Moon. Along with her other helpful friends, who also happens to be just like her, they help defend the planet and entire solar system from being taken over by evil forces. Isn't this a classical magical girl genre?! To find out more about Sailor Moon, just simply google her.


I loved Sailor Moon. Every morning, I would wake up around 5 or so and just scadoodle ( I think that's how you spell it ) down to the couch and silently turn on the television. The show came on around 6 or so and I would always make sure that I had a pillow and blanket with my to cuddle in. At that rate, I've seen all the episodes. I knew every character and their characteristics, what they like, don't like, and whatnots. I was a major fan those days and I am still one, just not like use to but, I'm still a fan of her. In addition, I got my best friend to be a fan of Sailor Moon too. Everyday afterschool, my best friend and I would go home and watch the our favorite episodes on the internet. I can remember how much I would waste my printer ink on printing out pictures and lyrics of their songs. Whenever I got a chance to go onto the internet, I'd always end up printing out pictures and adding them to my "Sailor Moon Mini-Book". It was basically my collection of the anime.








Now that I think about it, anime has come a long way integrating into the American culture. It wasn't popular back then but now, how many people do you know that attends Anime conventions in the USA? Or in other countries? I know plenty. This also includes the manga world. To me, Sailor Moon is the simple example of a classical group of best friends who shares the same past, present, and future. They are a bunch of friends who wants to follow their dreams and yet, protect everything they cherish so dearly. In fact, I look up to Sailor Moon because she demonstrate the strength to believe in your heart / dreams and especially yourself. Many young girls are fascinated by the positive influence that she's brought to them.



Fandom is social - you've got to remember that! It's the interaction in which many people around you become involved in with one another. Hence, sharing the same common interest. Again, how does all this tie with popular culture and education?! I feel that when it comes to a subject matter like comparison and constrast, you can discuss among the students about what did they think was popular back in the old days and compare it to society today. I think that teachers would find this helpful to them especially when a teacher would like to engage a certain hobby that their students would like to have within the classroom atmosphere. If an educator's goal is to pursue a positive classroom environment, why not involve the students? They are the key ingredient to making a meaningful engagement in which students can come together and interact.

Well, this is all for now....

0 comments: